Section I Qualifying for Membership
- Any PCC student who:
- has completed 12 college units
- maintains a cumulative college GPA of 3.0 or higher
- is currently enrolled in 9 college units is eligible to join Alpha Gamma Sigma Honor Society.
- Any incoming student who:
- has a high school GPA of 3.5 and above
- is currently enrolled in 9 units at Pasadena City College is eligible to join Alpha Gamma Sigma Honor Society.
- Any international student who:
- can fulfill membership requirements, as defined in Article II, Section IV, Item D of the By-laws.
Section II Member in Good Standing
A. A student who has paid membership dues for the current semester by the deadline defined by the Recording Secretary
B. A student who is not under any organizational disciplinary action; C. A student who is not under any college disciplinary action
D. A student who remains enrolled in the required minimum units for satisfactory academic progress of an Honor Society member
E. A student who has fulfilled all Alpha Gamma Sigma (AGS) Membership obligations for both the current and past semesters, as defined in Article II,Section I
F. A student who is qualified to run for a board position, apply for scholarships, and receive transcript notation.
Section III Two Classes of Member Status
A. Active Members must complete a minimum of 20 (twenty) total service hours during the current Fall or Spring semester. 6 (six) of these twenty hours must be dedicated specifically to fundraising for or contributing to Alpha Gamma Sigma, known as AGS hours. Active members may apply for Alpha Gamma Sigma (AGS) scholarships, run, and vote for office.
B. Inactive Members must complete a minimum of 9 (nine) hours of service during the current Fall or Spring semester. 2 (two) hours must be AGS hours. Inactive Members may not apply for Alpha Gamma Sigma scholarships nor can they vote or run for office.
C. All membership status is non-transferable after payment of dues and all dues are non-refundable.
D. Members may choose to change their status from Active to Inactive only up until the application deadline.
Section IV Four Types of Membership
A. Students entering their first semester of community college who either are lifetime members of the California Scholarship Federation (CSF) or have graduated a U.S. high school with a GPA of at least 3.5 are qualified to become Temporary members during their first semester.
B. First-semester students in Fall who are recipients of the PCC Honors-at-Entrance scholarship are eligible to join as Temporary members for the remainder of the semester.
C. Temporary members have, upon payment of dues, all the privileges of membership except for holding elective office.
D. Pertaining to incoming international students, their eligibility to join AGS will be determined based on a midterm GPA of 3.0. Upon applying to be an AGS member and meeting the requirement of being enrolled in at least 9 units, they will be placed on a probationary period until midterm grades are received. Mid-semester grades are to be submitted by the application deadline to the Recording Secretary and signed off by PCC faculty staff members.
A. Students are eligible to become Initial members after completing at least 12 semester units of college courses and with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0, in all college coursework going back up to 2 years.
A. Initial members who were in AGS for at least one semester may apply for Continuing membership if they have and maintain a 3.0 GPA, in all college coursework going back up to 2 years, and are enrolled in at least 9 units.
B. Continuing members will receive one semester’s grace period if the member’s GPA falls below 3.0. One grace period is accumulated for every earned semester of continuing membership. A continuing member cannot have two grace periods consecutively and any member who fails to maintain satisfactory academic progress will lose their membership with AGS Inc.
C. A grace period does not grant the member a transcript notation. The grace period gives the member a chance to preserve their status as a continuing member, which would count towards applying for permanent membership.
A. Permanent Membership is granted to Continuing Members. Students are eligible to petition by application for Permanent Membership during the semester in which they:
- Complete 60 semester units in degree-appropriate college courses, of which at least 54 units are for a grade (not as CR/No Credit or Pass/No Pass)
- Complete at least 30 of these units at the Community College level
- Are currently registered as a Continuing Member
- Meet one of the following criteria:
- A student in the second semester of AGS membership completes the semester with a cumulative 3.50 GPA or higher in all recognized college courses
- A student in the third semester of AGS membership or more completes the semester with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 in all recognized college courses.
B. Permanent membership applications must be filed by the established due date, commonly at least one week beyond the final day to apply for chapter membership in the semester.
C. Permanent members are entitled to receive the Alpha Gamma Sigma Permanent Certificate. They may also wear the distinguished gold stole.
D. For Permanent members, all future membership dues are waived. However, Permanent members are not automatically entitled to a transcript notation every semester.